January 1, 2008

Ahhhhh, 2008

As I celebrated the first day of 2008 by cooking myself a frittata whilst sipping a mimosa and watching the Rose Parade, I decided, life ain’t bad. I feel quite adult (and oh so tre chic) going into this year.

Yesterday, and last year, I was going through my journals in a nostalgic sort of way. I found a poem I wrote to conclude 2006. It was quite bittersweet, as was the year in question for me. I was thinking I should write a similar farewell to 2007, but when I sat down to try I had no luck. Perhaps because 2007 wasn’t bittersweet. Also, when I started to think about it, there weren’t any big significant happenings for me last year. Don’t get me wrong, I had some good times, some great adventures, and a couple petty heartaches along the way, but there weren’t any notables. No graduations or births or travesties to refer back to as, “Oh, that was 2007.”

It was a big year my friends. Right off hand, I can think of a wedding, two engagements, and a baby. Oh yeah, and my best friends in the whole world have decided to leave me to move to Vermont. (Do you know the annual snowfall of Vermont?! Well, neither do I, but the fact that they have an annual snowfall!! Oh wait, I was going to be more supportive this year…) Which I totally support the fact that my best friends in the whole world are moving to Vermont. But I have no such news for me. When I think about what I did in 2007, my biggest accomplishment is surviving a rough year at work. That’s not a good story to tell possible future grandchildren.

To be honest, 2008 seems no different. Last night, my friend kept pestering me for better resolutions. Apparently, “keep my budget” and “floss regularly” weren’t enough for her. To be honest, it’s not really cutting it for me either. What happened to my big ambitions and heady dreams? Is this what maturity is, a practical view of the reality at hand? Well, to heck with that. (I also resolved to cuss less.) Somewhere out there must be something nigh impossible to throw my heart and soul at.

I’m open to suggestions. (No JS, I’m not going to move to Vermont with you.) Right now, all I can come up with is I need to change my calendars and clean the dishes from cooking the frittata. Not quite quixotic, nes pas? (Apparently I’m going to replace the cussing with random smatterings of bad French.) I’m not really complaining. Adulthood isn’t the worst thing in the world to be stricken with. It’s not so bad to say that 2007 was a nice average year. All the same, I hope this maturity is short-lived and 2008 features some sort of tornado of ridiculous ambition.

5 comments:

jsd said...

lol. ok so I won't suggest Vermont, but perhaps instead San Fran? Boise? Or perhaps though not something I think you've done in a long long time - freelance. Freelance what you may be wondering I'm thinking - Yoga, Cooking, Quirky Art magazine, hmmm, any nibbles, tug, nudge??

You're a gifted writer and editor, maybe you're outgrowing your current job?? Or maybe it's time to get re-involved in SAs writing scene??

Ok, ok, I'll stop now :-)

San said...

Senorita Bones, I enjoyed this post. I believe that lofty goals like washing up after the frittata and putting up new calendars are where it's at. Where it's at is right now, and if it feels peaceful, you're doing good, girl.

A very good friend of mine took a job in Seattle this past year and I hated to see her go, but I didn't have a hankering to follow her there.

Happy New Year. When the grand ambitions strike, which they inevitably will, best of luck in getting on with them...

murat11 said...

Happy New Year. Complete sympathy with your wonderings about wandering ambition, but enlightenment is also in our fallow days: nothing you don't already know, though I might even venture to say that enlightenment is primarily in our fallow days. And if your gift for poetry isn't wild ambition, then what is?

If nothing else, you have updated "Chop Wood, Carry Water" with its 2008 version: "Change Calendar, Clean Frittata."

Peace to you, Ms Alt, and thanks for the continued blessings and awakenings and paradigm-salsa-bouncings of your poetry.

Anne said...

Thanks all for the blessings and the perspective. I think your right San. I worry about not living in the now, till I am. Then I worry, maybe I should be focusing more on my future. I think I’ll give up the worrying for the New Year. All the same JS, I always appreciate your nudges towards bigger and better things. And Murat, such compliments from a writer with such a tantalizing style himself is a nice way to start any endeavor—dishes to cliff diving. (Though I really don’t know why anyone would jump off a perfectly nice cliff…)

A very happy New Year to all of you.

Anonymous said...

I am not quite sure when the "pestering" took place that night was that before or after the nth martini? Anyways what you did on January 1st sure as hell beats me sitting on my ass all day and getting sucked into the marathon of "My Super Sweet 16".