October 14, 2007

Riffering

Word association exercise/game: Write in response to five words.

Original: Vineyard, Root, Rescue, Perseverance, Divided


Vineyard: The great all-American consumerism handbook of magical adjectives assures me that the most convenient affordable marketplace for me to purchase fine brushed Egyptian cotton 300 thread count sheets in the shade of parchment is, in fact, the Vineyard and not the Quarry nor the Forum.

Root: The regular practice of root lock ensures that I am right, tight, and ready to go. Cha cha cha. My chakras open all the way up motherfucker.

Rescue: Puppies, shelters, firefighters, men in uniform, calendars, gay bars, disco, chick flick movies with inevitable dance scenes…

Perseverance: Did you know that people that climb Mount Everest don’t just climb up? They climb up and down between the base camps for like a month or something to acclimate to breathing on the oxygen tanks. Nut bunnies.

Divided: A heart divided against itself cannot possibly beat with any sense of rhythm. (I wrote that a long time ago but still haven’t found a home for it.)

Murat11’s: Jam, Uptight, Flimps, Cloister, Jicama

Jam: I like strawberry jam and raspberry preserves but I’ve never particularly cared for jelly. (It must be preserves because jelly don’t jam like that?)

Uptight: What are the cool cats in Denver after the second pitcher of martinis?

Flimps: I spend a lot of time telling development experts that words they have used in their writing should not be used because they are not actually words. They spend a lot of time responding that it’s okay, they’re common industry terms. I also sigh quite a lot.

Cloister: At 22 Haley Mills starred as a strong minded teenager who gets into all sorts of high jinks with her best friend at the Catholic girls’ school St. Francis Academy in the film the “Trouble With Angels.” In the light-hearted farce Haley transforms from a petulant selfish teen to wistful novitiate right before the audience’s eyes all amongst swimming, smoking, and Plaster of Paris shenanigans. Her transformation is so sudden that her costar June Harding accuses the Mother Superior—why yes, it’s Ms. Rosalind Russell—of tricking Haley Mills into joining the order. In her final emotional outburst you can almost hear her say, “But it’s such a contrived plot twist!” Whenever this gem of cinema appears on Turner Classic I must admit I find myself compelled to watch particular scenes. I blame Ms. Rosalind Russell as the same thing happens to me when they show “Auntie Mame.”

Jicama: I leaned across the yellow counter and watched my mom slice and eat jicama as she put away the groceries. She unpacked until she found the jicama and then sliced it straightaway so she could continue to munch on the unadorned raw pieces as she continued to put things away. I watched her with a certain amount of envy that she could enjoy the itchy bland vegetation as though it were something wholesome and wonderful like a cucumber.

3 comments:

murat11 said...

Most riffing. Bought me first jicama yesterday. I like that that counter was yellow: something vivid about that. Don't let the flimps at the Court of Har get you down. And to think that Hayley Mills is resurrected right here in these pages - though I get that Ms Russell is the real heroine of the reverie. Rave on, alt.

Lee said...

Ooh, I loved Haley Mills as a girl. Saw just about every movie she made. Thank you for reminding me of her.

Joy!

Anne said...

One of my favorite Haley Mills moments comes in "Pollyanna" when she admonishes her younger co-star to, "Be still." She says it softly enough to remain Disney but with just enough attitude to be a real-life adolescent girl. Yeah yeah.