December 4, 2008

Tag Tag Tag

List seven unusual things about yourself.

1. I dabble in chiromancy and oneiromancy.

2. My Dad has one leg. (Or one leg, two spares, and a two switchable feet, depending on how you look at it.) This has never seemed unusual to me as he’s been this way as long as I’ve known him, but it tends to surprise others. In fact, when friends find out they tend to say something like, “You never told me that!” I find this unusual because when was I supposed to bring that up in conversation. “Yes, I would like another slice of pizza and my father is an amputee. Vietnam. Go figure.”

3. I have a fascination with sunken ships. It all started when they discovered the Titanic. I remember cutting out pictures of the debris from my mother’s Time magazine. I now own several books on the subject—not just the Titanic, but all sunken ships. My mother has theorized that in a past life I drowned on the Titanic. Recently I discovered that Saint Anne is credited with saving a group of sailors from a storm at Beaupré, and therefore the Quebecois consider her the patron saint of sailors.

4. My college roommate’s nickname for me was Satan. She seemed to think I was trying to get her to choke, but it was only an accident. That happened more than once. Seriously, we’d be having an innocent conversation among friends, when Miss A of the big D clan would say something along the lines of, “That’s because Anne is Satan!” I mean, really. It’s not like I caused her to vomit. More than that one time.

5. I don’t really want to see the new Star Trek movie. I am a through and through Star Trek fan. I watched all the shows. I insert quotes from the movies into everyday conversation (“This gazpacho is good. You know what else is best served cold?”). I know the difference between a Trekkie and a Trekker. I went to the Las Vegas Star Trek Experience twice. I love, truly love, Star Trek. But I think they’re totally gonna mess it all up with this stupid-ass prequel.

6. I, for a dark brief span of time, played World of Warcraft. It’s a long story that might involve an attractive male…

7. I read War and Peace mostly so I could tell people that I read War and Peace. Luckily for me, it turned out to be a pretty good yarn.

6 comments:

murat11 said...

Don't all long stories involve an attractive male?

jsd said...

I still think Satan is a bit harsh, but I suppose repeated chokings may warrant the nickname.

I had no idea another Star Trek was coming out - I bet they advertise on the SciFi channel and not NPR.

Anne said...

Murat: No, I'm afraid, some involve the utter lack of an attractive male. :-d

JSD: I'm innocent, I swear.

They have the new ST previews on You Tube if you want to see the carnage. I'll sum up - All the of the original crew meet up at Starfleet for wacky adventures (even though they are different ages and this was never hinted at in the shows previous extensive history). Kirk's a rebel, he and Spock don't get along, he hooks up with Uhura, and Checkov is there as a 12 year old for no apparent reason. Suckfest.

murat11 said...

Yes. I stand corrected.

San said...

Nice post, Satan. My grandfather had a glass eye and we used to beg him to take it out and show us his socket. He did sometimes. It was a thrill.

Lee said...

Alt, I'm glad to know you have such a love of Star Trek. I envy your visit to the Las Vegas Star Trek experience. Like JS, I didn't know a new movie was coming out anytime soon although I may have heard a hint that one was in the works. I wasn't that fond of the last one they had where the crew from Picard's ship was so involved. I remember it made me mad that the Express News movie reviewer rated it great because he doesn't like SciFi movies and wouldn't know a good one if it bit him.

Really interesting list of "unusuals"!

Cheers!