February 3, 2009

Happy

Yesterday, in the momentary excitement of something I had previously struggled with suddenly working, I decided to keep an “Unexpected Joy” list. In my brief euphoria, I told myself that I should spend as much time appreciating the unexpected pleasures as I do bitching about the unexpected troubles. I should focus on the setfronts of life rather than the setbacks.
A minute after typing, “I entered my timesheet in the new system on the first try,” the new system crashed and I lost my timesheet. I redid it four times that morning and summarily deleted my Unexpected Joy list.
I’m so trying to have a good attitude. I can hear myself faking it in conversations, hoping I’ll make it stick internally. I can hear myself telling all my friends the right things in terms of their attitudes (a recent JSD post comes to mind), and then wishing I would listen to myself. I’m doing my best really. It’s just the stupid timesheet system didn’t work again!
This morning I saw a link “What is Happiness Anyway” and clicked. Apparently the universe thought I needed a little help in the attitude readjustment zone. You’ll see I have a new link called The Happiness Project. I recommend you check it out. It’s written by a woman with a good attitude and that’s always a good thing.

1 comment:

murat11 said...

Tribal happiness is the exquisite way you ended the exquisite corpse: I love the internal rhymes of near and dear, and how they unconsciously / fortuitously call back the dear from five lines up.